IE8 displays pages in mobile mode

Posted at 7:14:07 PM in Recovery (46) | Read count: 2760

We had one IE 8 browser that refused to show certain web sites in anything other than mobile mode. When the same site was tested against every other IE 8 browser in the office, the page showed fine. I found one site that suggested it might be the Creative Software Autoupdate program, which when uninstalled fixed the problem. The PC we had this problem on didn't have Creative Software Autoupdate or any Creative devices / software installed.

Another site suggested that the headers might be overlong. I followed out the link for which showed several very long headers and explained where to find the entries in the registry. 

These were the registry key locations: 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

The keys were not in the format that I expected. They are not long strings, but rather separate key entries. I believe based on the enhanceie web site, IE concatenates the keys to form the string. Here's a screen shot of the registry.

 Not all keys have the same values. In the problem we had, the key that caused the problem was only in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform

And contained one value TabletPC2.0. Once I removed that entry and closed all the Internet Explorer windows and reopened the site we were having problems with, it worked perfectly.

Written by Leonard Rogers on Thursday, February 16, 2012 | Comments (0)

    Email address is not published
    Remember Me

    CAPTCHA Reload
    Write the characters in the image above