Cargowise EDI SQL server upgrade from 2005 to 2008

Posted at 2:56:49 PM in Installations (49) | Read count: 2615

Cargowise has a split in upgrade paths depending on the SQL server you are running.  We were left out of a new upgrade because we were using SQL 2005, so we decided to make the switch.  The instructions from Cargowise EDI for the migration simply are:

  1. backup the database
  2. copy the backup files to the new server
  3. Install 2008 R2
  4. restore the database
  5. Re deploy the Controller and web interface.

Their instructions start with installing 2008 server first.  These didn't work very well for me because I'm limited on servers and I didn't want to install SQL 2008 on a server that already has SQL 2005 installed on it.  I rearranged the steps to those listed above, but added to uninstall SQL 2005 after the backup was done.

The backup software used to backup Cargowise is the one provided by Cargowise.  It's found on the SQL server in the C:Program FilesCargoWise ediediEnterprise ServerDistributionApplication directory.  To correctly access the database, the server/instance had to be provided in order to list the databases.  It shows all of the tables in the database, but there are no instructions on which table to backup.  So I selected the main table, in this case enterprise.  It performed a backup of every table.

I had severe problems uninstalling SQL 2005 because the original install path was missing.  I had archived the installation files for Cargowise after the installation was complete.  Once the uninstall started, it did not role back after the abort and left me with a half uninstalled SQL 2005.  I couldn't reinstall it from a new download of SQL 2005 because the installation was still looking for the original install path.  So I had to go through and manually remove the components of the old server.  The installation for SQL 2005 exposed the installation log which showed the conflicting key.  Removing those keys only made the installation worse.  After further reading, I found that the reverse of the first portion of the key also needed to be removed.  So if the key was {432832-43233d32f4-2342234}, I had to find the keys that started with 238234.  I checked the folder to make sure I was removing the same information as the original key problem and that info matched.  I also removed the parent folder where ever I found either key.

 Once the SQL 2005 was uninstalled, I was able to install SQL 2008.  However, there were several pre-requisites that I needed to install before I could continue with the 2008 install.  One was an updated installer and the other was powershell which I don't know why it wasn't included in the SQL 2008 installation package.

After installing the database, I restored from the backup.  It went farily smooth, however; I changed the name of the main table from enterprise to edienterprise.  That became a real problem because no one could connect.  I thought when I specified the table to restore that I was entering the instance name.  To fix that problem, I had to go to ediload.ini and change the name of the table there.  On the server it was located at: C:Program FilesCargoWise ediediEnterprise Server.  It was in a slightly different location on the local network.  Once this was done everyone could get back.  

The final steps were to re-install the Controller, though I probably wouldn't need to do this if I kept the database name the same.  re-installing the controller is done at the workstation that has this service installed.  Go to the Admin menu and select scheduled tasks.  In the upper portion of the screen where you normally restart the controller task, you will see those options greyed out.  The only option is install.  I didn't want to press that because everything should have been the same.  Installing it again actually put two enteries on my services list, one as controller for the old database and one for the new.  Only one was running.

Then I went to the web server and ran ediload.exe -web deploy, but that wasn't enough.  I later had to go into the IIS settings and into the folder we setup for track and trace.  Select properties and then select the ASP.NET tab, then click Edit Configuration...  In application settings, the lower window has the database name in it.  Double click it and correct the name.

To-date, we stil have one major problem.  The backups are not running.  Everynight I get an error that says the user cannot login (it was the same error when I was trying to connect before the database name was changed, but the database name here is correct.)  As soon as I get more info I'll correct this post.

Written by Leonard Rogers on Friday, February 11, 2011 | Comments (0)


    Name
    URL
    Email
    Email address is not published
    Remember Me
    Comments

    CAPTCHA Reload
    Write the characters in the image above